Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Crazy Fire Season

Fire season has started off gang busters. Just to give a quick recap
  • I attended a wildland fire school to help with weather. The school ended and two days later a big fire started as a result from a campfire. I later returned and worked the Indians fire for about 5 days.
  • Went back to the office to work a few night shifts and then went to NorCal work the Peterson Complex for a week.
  • Went back to the office to work a few days and then headed to the fire near Big Sur and worked there for two weeks.
Each fire had it's unique challenges, but the most taxing fire was the Basin Complex near Big Sur. It wasn't uncommon for the range of temperatures across the US to happen over the fire. The craziest thing is that both the Indians and Basin fire were both visible from Monterey. In fact, ash from the fires covered my car at one point. Kate also came to get a tour of fire camp and visit me while I was at the East Basin Fire. I'm sure these fires won't be the last ones I gone on this season.

Indians

Peterson Complex

East Basin Fire


Until Next Time...
Matt

1 comment:

oldsloat said...

Excellent insight on fire ops. Good pix!